Thursday, October 19, 2017

Dr. Elchanan Elkes, Chairman of the Kovno Judenrat

Dr Elchanan Elke

He was murdered at Dachau. He wrote his 'last testament' to his son and daughter who lived in London. The letter was retrieved along with his diary after the liberation of Kovno.

"I am writing this in an hour when many desperate souls--widows and orphans, threadbare and hungry--are camping on my doorstep, imploring us, (the council) for help. My strength is ebbing. There is a desert inside me. My soul is scorched. I am naked and empty. There are no words in my mouth." 

from Nazi Germany and The Jews
by Saul Friedlander
Chapter 14: Total Extermination
Fall 1943-Spring 1944

Moving into the Kovno ghetto.

George Kadish, photographer

Cover of William W. Mishell featuring a candle

Wolf Mishelvski was 21, in his first job as an Engineer, when the Germans invaded Lithuania. This book is a personal account of his experiences in the ghetto, supplemented by a detailed chronology of happenings in the Kovno Ghetto. This book also includes a translation of the infamous Jaegger Report, detailing day by day the systematic murders carried out by Einsatzkommando 3, from July 4 to November 25, 1944. William W. Mishell, Kaddish for Kovno; Life and Death in a Lithuanian Ghetto 1941-1945 


No comments:

Post a Comment

do not be shy just say hi